With summer comes bright warm colors, fresh fruits, and balmy weather. But for some of us, summer seasons also come with some additional benefits — our grandkids.
When they visit, we usually want to do these three things: 1) serve them delicious food, 2) spend as much quality time with them as possible, and 3) entertain them.
But sometimes our recipes are too complicated, they take up too much time, and they keep our eyes away from the kids.
Luckily, there are plenty of easy recipes that solve all of those problems. Not only are the recipes in this guide delicious, but they require minimal prep work and get kids excited.
So keep reading for three easy summer recipes your grandkids will love helping you with. You'll find that you don't need to compromise taste or time to feed your grandkids tasty food.
1. Margherita Pita Pizza
You'll be surprised at how many easy summer dinner recipes end up tasting gourmet. The ingredients don't have to come at a premium either! Margherita pizza is enjoyed by children and adults alike and can be done at a fraction of the traditional cooking time and resources.
- 1 large pita
- 2-3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced *
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spread tomato sauce evenly over the pita
- Spread cheese and tomatoes on top before topping off with a light pinch of salt and drizzle of olive oil
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese has melted
- Remove from oven, top with fresh basil
* Make sure to purchase non-shredded cheese and then slice them. Pre-shredded cheese is usually riddled with potato starch and other additives to prevent the cheese from sticking to itself. This results in a cheese with an unideal taste and texture.
2. 3-Ingredient Strawberry Ice Cream
While the ice cream truck's always a great option, your grandkids will love the fresh easy summer recipes under your belt. Not only will you all enjoy the benefits of freshly made strawberry ice cream, but preparation is a breeze.
- 2 cups refrigerated heavy whipping cream *
- 1 14-oz refrigerated sweetened condensed milk *
- 1/3 cup strawberry puree
- With a stand or hand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream until it reaches soft peaks
- Turn off the machine and add condensed milk
- Whip again until the mixture reaches stiff peaks
- Turn off machine and add strawberry puree
- Add finished ice cream mixture to a large storage container. Store in freezer until it reaches semisolid consistency
* Both cream and condensed milk should be as cold as possible to aid the whipping process. Refrigerating both ingredients beforehand is vital.
3. Lemon Pop Cake
After a full week of delicious easy dinner recipes, it's time for some cake. And what better, sugary way is there to beat the summer heat than with tart, sweet, fluffy lemon cake? Spring may be over, but that doesn't mean citrus is out of season.
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 can lemon soda
- Preheat the oven to the specified temperature on the cake mix box. Grease and prepare two cake pans or a cupcake can lined with papers
- Beat cake mix and soda together for two minutes
- Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake at the specified time on the cake mix box
- Let cool and decorate with your favorite icing
Cool Down With The Grandkids With These Easy Summer Recipes!
With summer comes the joy of seeing our grandkids' faces more often. While they're here, it's tempting to create a fresh summer menu to facilitate fantastic memories. When you're planning your culinary repertoire, use some of these easy summer recipes — spend less time prepping and more time bonding with your family.
At Apex, we're invested in the comfort and ease of the people who wear our shoes. Despite selling footwear, we always emphasize our mission of accessibility and support. We hope you resonate with our principles and if you do, check out our brand's newest footwear arrivals — you might as well welcome your grandkids in comfortable style!
< Back to Blogs