One foot contains one-quarter of the body's bones and a whopping 30 joints. On top of that is the weight of your body. So, it makes sense that sometimes our feet can get achy.
For anyone who has experienced foot pain, it can feel like an impossible obstacle to surpass. Indeed, we need to continue using our feet even when they hurt. How can we relieve foot pain while still walking and standing on them?
You do have options, from comfortable orthopedic shoes to stretches for foot pain. In terms of the latter, we suggest the following five ways to manipulate your feet and feel relief.
Salute With Your Toes
- You'll need to sit down to perform this stretch, which revolves around the big toe.
- Once seated with feet flat on the ground, lift your big toe only. Hold it for a few seconds, then let it fall back to the floor.
- Then, lift the rest of your toes while leaving the big toe on the ground. Hold, rest and repeat the circuit on the other foot.
This stretch works for strengthening just as well as it does for pain relief.
- Again, you'll sit, but this time on the floor. Stretch your legs out straight in front of you, then hook a towel around both feet.
- You'll still have the ends of the towel in your hands. Pull them gently towards you for 15 to 30 seconds, which will put light pressure on the bottom of your feet. Repeat three times to feel the relief.
Next on our list of exercises for foot pain, we have the very simple toe splaying stretch.
- Have a seat and rest your feet on the ground.
- Then, stretch your toes as wide as they'll go.
- Hold the position for a few seconds, then let go and repeat.
This move will strengthen your feet, which will help you ward off future pains.
4. Plantar Fascia Massage
You can use Plantar Fasciitis pain relief techniques to relieve your foot pain, as well.
- One feel-good technique requires you to use either a ball or a cold water bottle.
- Take either rounded surface and roll it across the arches and heels of your feet.
A five-minute massage session should help diffuse your foot pain.
5. Alphabetical Ankle
Finally, you can stretch your ankle and foot joints with this simple stretch.
- Have a seat in a chair high enough to have your feet dangling above the floor.
- From your perch, you'll start to write the letters of the alphabet in the air with your foot.
- You want to keep the movement as small as possible — focus on only your foot and ankle writing each letter.
Perform Your Stretches For Foot Pain
These are only a handful of the many stretches for foot pain out there. Start with these five, then branch out to find others that assuage your ache. Soon enough, you'll be back on your feet without any discomfort — and that's a fantastic feeling.